Impetigo is considered as a very contagious skin infection that is often observed on the face, arms, legs and necks as well. The two main reasons of this impetigo disease are those bacteria named streptococcus pyogenes and staphylococcus aureus. These bacteria usually penetrate the skin through a cut, bite or other injury. Alternatively, it can infect through damaged skin because of underneath condition such as scabies and eczema.
There are many kinds of impetigo such as bullous impetigo, ecythma or impetigo contagiosa. In addition, it can affect everyone, but young children or infants and those with weak immune system are more prone to this disease. Some other factors that can lead to impetigo are that poor hygiene, other types of skin infection, diabetes, warm weather or dermatitis and impaired immunity.
The symptoms of impetigo may vary and depend on the kind. However, you may experience red lesions that pop easily, fluid – filled blisters, rash, honey–colored crust, itchiness, swelling lymph nodes and skin lesions as well.
The cure for impetigo often relies on the severity of the condition. In some mild cases, you may just need to treat it with good hygiene and several home remedies. Yet, those more serious conditions may require doctor and properly professional diagnosis.
Here are several home remedies for impetigo that you may considerate adopting:
- White Vinegar
It is important to keep the affected area clean because it can support the healing process as well as prevent further infection. Therefore, it is recommended that you use water or antibiotic fluid to wash away those harmful bacteria. White vinegar is an effective method to adopt. It can aid you in preventing the widespread of infection and keep the affected area clean.
- Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into 2 glasses of warm water.
- Soak a clean cloth into the solution and use it to wash the affected area.
- Let the skin dry and apply an antibiotic ointment.
- Cover it with bandage.
- Repeat the process for several times a day
- Note: Gently wash the affected area only. No scrubbing.
- Heat Therapy
Heat therapy can be adopted to cure impetigo. As the heat can help you to remove those harmful bacteria which are responsible for impetigo. Plus, it can dry the skin lesions and sores as well as reduce the itchiness and pain caused by impetigo.
- Soak a clean cloth in hot water and squeeze out the excessive water.
- Gently apply the cloth on the affected area.
- Repeat the process for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Tea Tree Oil
This incredible essential oil can be used to treat impetigo effectively. Its strong antimicrobial as well as anti – inflammatory properties can remove the Staph infection effectively and soothe the pain as well.
- Add several drops of tea tree oil into some carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil
- Apply this solution on the affected area.
- Leave it to take effect for half an hour
- Rinse the wound off with warm water
- Repeat the process for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Note: You should not consume tea tree oil orally otherwise it can cause side effects.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
You may use the fluid extracted from the grapefruit seed since it is extremely effective in treating impetigo. Its antioxidant and antibacterial properties can work incredibly in preventing skin infection and further damage to your skin.
- Mix some drops of grapefruit seed extract in to a cup of water
- Apply the solution on the affected area using a clean cloth or a cotton swab.
- Repeat the process for 2 – 3 times a day to obtain the best outcomes.
- There will be some itching at first yet it will remove the infection soon.
- Alternatively, you may take GSE supplements after consulting doctor.
Another effective method to adopt to cure impetigo is garlic. As its wonderful antibiotic, antibacterial and antiseptic properties can help you to kill those harmful bacteria, it can be useful in relieving itchiness and pain as well.
- Fry some minced garlic using sesame oil.
- Let the oil cool down and strain it.
- Apply the solution on the affected area 2 – 3 times day for several days
- Alternatively, you may chew some raw garlic.
- Manuka Honey
Manuka honey which is known as one of the most effective method to treat impetigo due to its strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Its healing properties can eliminate the growth of bacteria which is responsible for impetigo. Also it can speed up the healing process and boost your immune system so that your body can fight back impetigo and other skin infection.
- Put some Manuka honey on your affected area
- Let it sit for several hours before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process for 3 – 4 times on a daily basis.
- Moreover, you may consume some Manuka honey orally to boost your immune system.